Premier Inn withdraw plans for Morecambe hotel

By Adam Bysouth

SOCIAL BOOKMARKS

Premier Inn has confirmed it has withdrawn plans to open hotel in Morecambe.

The business was scheduled to unveil a new hotel as part of The Bay retail park development, headed by developer Opus North.

This will not go ahead, following discussion which took place last year but which have only now been mentioned by the national chain.

It is though still keen to come to the town.

Nick Johnston, acquisitions manager for Premier Inn, said: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, in September 2016 we reached an amicable agreement with the developer to withdraw from this site and we understand the developer is in discussions with alternative leisure occupiers.

“Premier Inn will continue to consider locations in Morecambe as and when the right site becomes available.”

This new area is on the site of the former Frontierland theme park.

The fairground ceased operation in 2000.

One of the park’s larger attractions ‘The Polo Tower’ has remained standing but not operating for over decade.

Speaking of the new retail and leisure development, managing director Mr Duncan said: “It is part of a bigger scheme to help redevelop Morecambe town.”

The nearest Premier Inn to Morecambe is situated just over four miles away in Lancaster.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 3:56PM
Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Read this..